Does your graduating highschool senior have the right documents in place for college?

May is almost here and highschool seniors will be graduating. If you have a graduating senior, you should know that when your child turns 18, because of HIPAA laws, you will no longer be able to talk to your child's doctor or make medical decisions for your child unless your child has signed a healthcare power of attorney naming you as a healthcare agent. For many parents, calling a child's doctor and being told they no longer have access to their child's healthcare and appointment information can be like hitting a brick wall. Luckily, there is a way to avoid this.

Your child can sign a healthcare power of attorney form designating a parent or other family member as his or her healthcare agent. Like other adults, graduating seniors need a healthcare power of attorney. This document alone can be a lifesaver. In addition to a healthcare power of attorney, it is also advisable for every 18 year-old to have a will, living  will, and durable financial power of attorney. These emergency documents are not expensive and can save time, money, and family stress later. It's easier than you think to get everything in place for your child.

If you'd like to find out more, contact Nancy at 704-887-5242.


DISCLAIMER: This is an advertisement and contains general educational information only. The information offered in this post does not constitute legal advice and reading the information does not create an attorney-client relationship with Nancy Roberts or the Law Office of Nancy L Roberts PLLC Firm. Before taking any action, you should always seek legal advice from an attorney you hire, who advises you based on your specific facts, circumstances, situation, and the appropriate governing law.

Image: Shutterstock/Sean Locke Photography

Nancy Roberts
Connect with me
Handling All of Your Family's Estate Planning Needs
Be the first to comment!
Post a Comment